Bidding My Mother Farewell
For some reason, I have had such a hard time writing down my thoughts, feelings, and
memories surrounding my mom’s Leukemia diagnosis, gradual decline in health, and eventual
passing. It all started in the Summer. I had signed up for a class at the U of U and was planning
to stay in Bountiful so I could attend the virtual class without interruption. Mom had gone in for a
lumbar puncture after her hematology doc noticed a sudden drop in her platelets that he had
been monitoring for years and years. They told her to expect a follow-up visit with him about a
week after the LP. But one afternoon, as I was sitting in the basement listening to my class, I
heard the phone ring. Mom and Dad were out of the house running errands somewhere. I
muted my class and I answered the phone when I heard it was from the hematology office. I
explained that I was Jean's daughter and she said that they got the results from the LP and they
would like her to come in as soon as possible and could we be there tomorrow. I said yes, we
would. When mom and dad got back, I went upstairs and explained what had happened. I knew
it was likely not great news, and I saw the same look of concern on both of their faces that I was
trying to hide from mine. I said I would definitely go with them.
At Dr. Samuelson's office the next day, I sat with mom and dad as he came in with the results
and explained to mom that it appears she had acute lymphocytic leukemia, and based on how
many blasts were in her circulation, it didn't look good. He looked directly at mom and dad and
explained that while clinicians are never great at prognosticating, he felt that she may have
"only weeks to months left". I immediately went numb. Dad audibly gasped and mom's
eyebrows raised in surprise. I looked at mom's face and I wanted to cry. But I didn't. I looked at
dad's face and remembered seeing only shock and sadness. They spoke some more and he
said that he would set up a meeting with cancer specialists over at Huntsman and they would
review her results and consult with mom and dad as soon as they can. He was kind and
compassionate and I could immediately see why mom and dad spoke so highly of this doctor.
We walked back out to the car and as we were loading ourselves in it, Emily called. She was
just finishing at work and was going to come and meet us at the doctor's if we were still there.
She asked how the appointment went and all I could tell her was "It's bad, Emily. Real bad.
Please just go straight to Bountiful and we'll meet you there and explain everything."
On the drive home, mom was sitting in the back seat, dad was sitting in the passenger seat, I
was driving. I recall thinking through everything and trying to figure out if there would be any
medical treatments or chemotherapy regimens that would offer hope, or extend her life. I think
we were all in shock. Mom quietly stated, "I guess I knew that it may be bad, but I thought I
would have at least one more birthday, one more Thanksgiving, and one more Christmas."
My heart squeezed at this expression, but I didn't cry. Why don't I ever cry? Is there
something wrong with me?
As soon as we got home, Emily was there and I told her the sad news. Then we decided
that instead of calling everyone individually, we should just do a group zoom and let everyone
know. So I sent out a group text to all the siblings and said that we had the results and that it
was serious and that we were doing a zoom in 15 minutes and to please join if they could.
That family zoom was a moment in history that changed the lives of all of us. Mom and
Dad explained about the recent blood work that had been concerning and about her lumbar
puncture and the results from it. Then when they got a little emotional, they told me to explain
what we learned at the appointment. I tried my best to be professional and direct and explained
that we were given the potential prognosis of "weeks to months" left to live. I recall hearing
several audible gasps as well as hearing crying from several siblings as each one had a minute
to ask questions or just express love. It was probably the shortest zoom I've ever been a part of.
Also, the most impactful one. After the zoom, we decided to call Gayle on her phone and tell her
directly, as she had been the only one who couldn’t join the zoom. (Busy mission presidents life
and all.) They also wanted me to tell her the details and I recall that she gasped at the news
too.
It was gut-punching each time we had to share it with someone new. We sat with mom and
dad and made a plan about who we needed to notify. I felt so bad leaving the next day, but
Emily was there to help, and soon Jennie was making plans to fly out and be here as well. The
three of us had been working together over the last year or so on various legal matters as we
(the three little girls) were appointed trustees of mom and dad's estate. Now our focus and
concern as the “Three Little Trustees” took a whole new direction with a heavier gravity to it.
I recall driving home to Idaho Falls and finally, alone, in the car, I began to cry. I let the tears
flow, just thinking about how my mom's time on the Earth was limited and how I was driving
AWAY from her. But I had a family of my own. A spouse and children who needed me to be
around. I felt absolutely pulled in two directions.
I spent the next few weeks in a fog.
I wasn't able to come back down to be with them at the consultation with the Leukemia specialist, but
they allowed me to listen in with my phone on mute. Uncle George went with them. I took as
many notes as I could and I wanted to understand all of the options as well as where my mom
and dad were at, mentally. It felt like they didn't see a whole lot of hope in what options were
offered. The trade-offs would now be carefully weighed and considered: risk versus benefit as
well as the burden of treatment versus quality of life. Over a few days more, mom decided
definitively AGAINST pursuing any sort of chemotherapy or treatment and would simply enjoy
her time left with the amazing quality of life she still enjoyed. Considering her age, her previous
disease, her complete lack of energy and fragility, I was all for this option.
I knew the benefits of Hospice care and wanted to encourage this option, but I also knew
that I would face some of the same resistance within my own family as exists in the general
public. There is such a lack of understanding of what Hospice care does for people. In general,
patients and families always wait way too long before finally accepting this route. For several
weeks, mom and dad were not ready for this option either. There was a lot of hope. Genuine
hope. I applauded that hope. I had my own doubts, based on the numbers that would bounce all
over the place in her CBCs. My main objective was to try and be as supportive as possible to
mom and to dad during this ordeal.
Having a knowledge of the plan of salvation does bring so much added peace to almost any
situation, but it doesn't necessarily make it any easier. Over the following 6-8 weeks, mom's
health steadily declined. Dad would ask me questions about mom's situation or mom's
prognosis almost every time we talked. He was not only concerned for her well-being, but I think
he also needed some sort of a time frame to be able to mentally handle it. I tried so many times
to explain that nobody can really know. That every patient responds differently. That guessing
wouldn't help anything.
Mom seemed to accept her fate with a grace and dignity that didn't surprise any of us. She
lived her entire life this way. One of her friends (that John visited when he was in Hawaii with his
family) said something about mom that stuck with me. She said that "Jean is getting the death
she deserves based on the good life she lived." This is something that I hadn't ever thought
about, and I am not sure that I still wholly believe this concept. I know of many who are great
people and who live great lives but still have a very difficult or even traumatic death. But I liked
the thought and felt that in mom's situation it did seem a "fitting death" if that was even a thing.
We eventually got started on Hospice with Rocky Mountain Hospice and the nurse assigned
to mom was Shauna. She was a little quiet but very kind and compassionate with mom. There
were a few moments of frustration with the Hospice when things would be would forgotten,
but overall we were pleased with their service and attention to mom. They tried to accommodate the
demands and desires of our crazy large family, and always kept me in the loop medically.
At one point as it was getting close to the pre-scheduled time for our Family Reunion in
August, we realized mom wouldn’t be able to travel. She was getting weaker and weaker and
she did not like to be far away from her own bathroom/bedroom. So Jennie and Tom, who were
in charge of the reunion, changed plans. They canceled the location reservation in Island Park,
Idaho, and instead we all searched for something closer to home. We found a VRBO in Salt
Lake that could accommodate all of us. Even though it was just the 11 kids and their spouses, it
was one of the best family reunions ever. We decided to surprise mom by celebrating each of
those holidays that she mentioned she’d be missing on the day of her diagnosis. We did her
birthday celebration early, then the next day we celebrated Thanksgiving, and the next day we
celebrated Christmas. There was a family picture recreation complete with our famous
numbered shirts. Mom and dad were both very happy throughout those 3 days together with all
of their children. We did a temple sealing session together at the Bountiful temple and I don’t
recall ever seeing mom have more joy on her face as she did in that room on that day. It was
the best birthday present I have ever had. I will remember it forever.
Mom did live to celebrate her actual birthday.
She went in for a few more blood tests as well
as received 2 blood transfusions at LDS hospital in SLC. The first one she chose to get in order
to have enough extra energy to make it to the temple on July 22 for Brett Garner’s sealing. The
second one she did in an attempt to gain enough energy to make it to the aforementioned
reunion. I had the privilege of being with her during both of those transfusions. The first one took
about 4 hours, but the second one took nearly seven! It was hard to see mom sitting in that fairly
uncomfortable chair for so long. I helped her as much as possible, but she was still fiercely
independent in her self-cares.
During the first transfusion, I got us some soup and sandwiches from the café downstairs
and she had a great appetite and ate it all. She even wanted a chocolate shake, so I asked
them to make one for her with the chocolate ice cream they had and she enjoyed it. I talked very
openly to mom about her feelings and desires. I asked if we were smothering her and dad and if
she needed some alone time. She was gracious as always about our constant visiting.
On the second transfusion, I went downstairs again and got us some soup and we ate it and I
talked with mom about what some of her favorite scripture stories were and why. Mostly we
talked about the stones that the Brother of Jared asked the Lord to turn to light, and how much
she loves that story. This was one of the 3 stories that she wanted me and Jennie to share
about at her funeral. Later I wrote about that story and why mom loved it and that was the talk
that I shared at her funeral.
Towards the end of September, mom was noticeably weaker each day. It’s really true that
you can measure a “total overall decline” in just how much she walked. It went from daily walks
down the street and back, to walking only 3 houses down and back, to walking only three
houses down and getting driven back, to walking only around the yard, to walking only inside
the house, to walking only from her bed to the bathroom to the front room, to using the walker, to
going for a ride in the wheelchair.
Throughout the last months, she was dealing with her annoying hacking cough. She had
struggled with a cough for years, but in the final weeks, it became very meddlesome with her
comfort. We tried a bunch of different treatments recommended by the hospice medical director,
but that cough would just not leave her alone. It was that cough and those coughing fits/spells
that alerted us to her needs at night. For at least the last month of her life, there was always a
daughter staying overnight with mom and dad. Most nights it was at least two. Maddy Powell
and then Sadie moved into the basement. The daughters would sleep upstairs. Jennie came
from Arizona and stayed for quite a while. I came from Idaho as often as I could, even though
this was really hard on our budget of gas and on Greg to have me gone so much. The Utah girls
came as much as they could and I was both happy they were there and jealous when I was not.
It was a lot of daily managing of visitors, hospice employees coming to help, ward members
bringing food or treats, and then there was the weekly family zoom. We instituted it part-way
through mom’s diagnosis so that all of the children and the grandchildren could spend time
visiting with mom and dad. I hope this tradition continues because it will help to keep us all a bit
more connected. And that is what mom was always about - the relationships and preserving
them.
At first, all of the attention that came mom’s way was flattering and well-deserved. But after a
while, mom would mention things like “It sure has been nice to have everyone visit. To say
goodbye to so many people. But yet I am still just here.” It must have been frustrating to be told
that you would likely die in a few weeks, only to have those weeks turn into months. Looking
back, we are all so grateful for the 3 and a half months that we had with mom. And relationships
with her own children were strengthened and polished. And mom got to plan all of the details of
her funeral and she even gave all the input on what she wanted on her headstone design. It’s
not that often that people get to be so intimately involved in the planning and the details of their
own passing. But mom was classy like that. And at her funeral, there were so many compliments
about how wonderful the program was. Dad would just say “Well, it’s all because Jean planned
it out herself.” So true!
When I learned of mom’s diagnosis and studied more about Leukemia and how it would likely be
at the end of her life, I knew one thing for sure. I knew that there would come a point where she
would be struggling for breath, for air. I understood this from a medical standpoint, but I also
understood this from a personal standpoint. When I first got asthma as a young teenager, I had
no idea how it would impact me. But throughout years of asthma exacerbations and attacks, I
would puff down my inhaler full of albuterol and anxiously strain to get a good breath. Forget a
deep breath, I just wanted to feel like I was getting ANY breath in. It was agonizing and scary.
There were several times when I would just freak out and feel like I was literally dying. Mom
would sit on the orange couch in the front room and let me lie down with my head on her lap
and she would shush me and calm me and would rub her hands on my forehead and reassure
me that I would be ok and that I just needed to relax, to breathe.
Somewhere deep in my heart, I knew that our roles would soon be reversed. I knew that at
some point, as she was approaching the doors of death, she would then be struggling to breathe,
to get air. I have witnessed this event take place when others have departed from mortality. I
just prayed that my little “flash vision” of me stroking mom’s hair on her forehead when she was
struggling to breathe would actually happen. That I wouldn’t be in Idaho and get the call that she
had died. I knew that this was a very real possibility, but I also felt strongly that I would be
allowed the sacred privilege of that “reversal of roles” moment in my life.
That moment came a few weeks ago. I have been working exclusively at Urgent Care for
the last several months and working 2 days per week. It has worked out well so that I could
work those days and then come down to Bountiful to be with mom and dad. On October 7th I
came down. I knew that mom had been weak and not hardly walking anywhere and that she
was requiring more and more oxygen to maintain her sats. It, like the decline in walking and
moving independently, had gradually gotten to complete oxygen dependence.
At first, mom was too prideful to wear the oxygen. As if she was stronger than her disease and she
would stare at the oximeter and just will it up over 90. The truth is, I think that mom had been
living at around 88% for several years. Her body was already adjusting to the lack of healthy,
competent, red blood cells that could do their job of carrying oxygen around. I brought down a
little portable oxygen concentrator that we borrowed from the Longs and she would wear it to
help her feel a little better. She started at only 1 liter and that number steadily increased until
she was at nearly the max. She also slept with oxygen from the large concentrator dad kept in
their office. We got some really long tubing and she left it there for her nighttime sleep.
Somewhere before she got that high on the portable concentrator, she had already started
on Hospice and they brought in oxygen tanks that we could more easily haul around for her.
They were also much less noisy than the machines. One funny thing that happened was on the
day we celebrated her birthday, someone grabbed a lighter to light the candles and we didn’t
even think about it, until mom’s face was an inch away from the sparks flying from the lighter
and she pulled back and said: “Woah - maybe we shouldn’t have an open flame around my
oxygen!” We all jumped up at the realization of the dangerous situation we were all complicit in
creating, and how mom just saved herself from a potential disaster! We got a great picture of
mom’s face laughing hysterically at the situation she averted! During the last week of her life, mom
was requiring upwards of 4 liters per minute of oxygen just to maintain her sats and to feel like
she could breathe. She got to the point where she would eagerly put the oxygen on herself and
do this quickly when changing from one oxygen source to another. She ended up maxing out
the tanks as high as they would go and then we were burning through them so fast. We finally
asked hospice to get us a concentrator that would go higher, and we had her running at 8 liters
on it at night.
On October 7th, when I got to Bountiful, mom was just sitting in her chair (we bought her a
lazy boy automatic recliner and it was such a good buy for her). She was just looking so worn
out. She was on 6 liters on the tank and there was a pile of 16 oxygen tanks next to her lazy boy
recliner in the family room. I tried to get mom to wear the non-rebreather mask so that we could
get her up to a higher oxygen concentration. This worked for a little bit, but she just didn’t like
the feel of having the mask on her face. Too claustrophobic of a feeling, I imagine. That
morning, her oxygen had dropped to 59% in just seconds when we were changing out from one
oxygen tank to another. It was alarming indeed to see those numbers. Something told me that
mom was getting close.
The next day, October 8th, there was quite a bit of family at the home. Marilyn and Matt
were here and Sadie and Maddy were here and Liz was also here. Gayle and Jane and Emily
were here throughout the entire day, and Nancy and I were sharing the upstairs room to help
with mom’s care at night. Gayle’s son Noah and his friends had just flown into town and they
came over and brought some yummy soup for us all to have lunch together. We obviously didn’t
know it, but that bowl of creamy cauliflower soup from Zupas would be the last meal mom would
ever eat. Gayle was getting ready to leave with her family in the afternoon when we put mom
and dad down for a nap. She asked me if I thought that she would be ok to go on a trip that
weekend that she already had planned with Craig. I knew what she was asking, but I hesitated
to respond. I had already been so surprised by how mom had rallied, how she defied the odds
with her physical and mental strength. I told her that she would probably be fine.
Earlier in the day, I told Nancy and Jane that we should get a new walker from the basement
for mom to use that had a seat on it. She used it for a total of fewer than 24 hours. But she did sit
on that seat, in the front hallway, to listen to Noah play a beautiful song on the piano. When she
woke up from her nap, mom had another “episode” where her sats dropped way too low, way
too fast. It honestly freaked me out. I kept this freak-out inside. But I texted Shauna about my
concerns with mom. She wrote back that she did feel like based on what she had seen that
morning as well as what I was texting her, that mom was entering the beginning of the “pre-active”
phase of the dying process, and to text her if we needed anything or just wanted her to come. I
told her we would. I thought that mom was actually in the “active” phase at this point. For some
context, in medical terms, the “pre-active” phase usually lasts around 2-3 weeks, while the
“active” phase of dying generally lasts 2-3 days.
Nancy and I got some of mom’s essential oils and rubbed her feet. She loved this. I loved
doing it for her. This was the second time I got to do this for her. I know that other sisters also
took the time to rub mom’s feet in the days prior to her passing. While we rubbed in the oil, I
couldn't help but think of someone else, who rubbed the feet of those He loved, and how mom
would get to meet that someone really soon.
The family was playing games at the big, round table. We asked mom if she wanted to go to
bed early since it was kinda loud. She said that she wanted to stay there. That she enjoyed
listening to her family having fun. I was sitting near mom’s feet and dad was sitting across from
me, against the wall, close to mom. I had a distinct impression that I knew didn’t come from
myself. It was too powerful of a thought. So I just said to dad, “What if instead of reading
scriptures tonight, we have mom and you get priesthood blessings?” He didn’t take long to
respond that he thought it would be a great idea. He asked mom if she wanted a blessing and
she said yes. Dad asked Matt to anoint mom and then dad sealed the anointing on her head
with an absolutely wonderful blessing of peace. In it, he mentioned that October was a
significant month and that she would soon be finishing her mortal mission and moving on. Ben
Tingey was there too and Dad asked Ben to bless him. He spoke quietly and I was unable to
hear everything he said, but I felt a lot of peace as he blessed him. After the blessings were
done, I was crying soft tears.
Many people finished visiting and we got mom into her bathroom and she actually let me and
Emily and Nancy help her in there to get her nightgown on. She chose a simple plain white silky
gown. Emily lifted her up and held onto her little frail body in a tender way - unbeknownst to
Emily at that moment, it was a final embrace from mom to her baby. Mom had taken her dose of
nightly morphine and we walked her into her room and did our nightly routines with her,
including making sure that she had enough oxygen on. We actually tried to get her to sleep with
2 sources of oxygen on, both the mask and the nasal cannula. It didn’t seem comfortable, but
she needed it and let it be. She was very sleepy, yet she was still rubbing her essential oils into
her chest, as she always did. I tried to tell her that she had enough on her already, but she kept
dousing it on, almost dripping it into the sunken pits of her upper chest. Hours later I would
realize that she was, in a way, anointing her own body with oils pre-mortem. We tucked her, and
dad, into bed. We said we loved them and walked out of the room.
After visiting for a while, Emily and Jane left to go home since it was getting so late. Many
people went downstairs, Sadie went to lay down on the couch in the front room, and Nancy
went to the back bathroom to get ready for bed. I had my pajamas on and had just brushed my
teeth. I said my prayers and got into bed. I left the bathroom light on in our room for mom, since
I knew she would likely be getting up in a few hours to use the bathroom. As I lay there in bed, I
had a brief and frank pleading with God. I was so tired, but I told Him that I really needed Him to
alert me to any of mom’s needs as I knew she was getting ever closer to death and I wanted to
be there for her to support her and help her in any way I could.
I closed my eyes for what felt like 2 minutes and was in that hazy moment of in-between
awake and sleep. Then I heard mom cough. It wasn’t a very loud cough, such as we had all
grown accustomed to in the past weeks. It wasn’t a very long coughing fit that we were all
familiar with. But it was a quiet cough. For some reason (which I know was the Holy Ghost
telling me to get up) I bolted right up in bed and jumped out in one singular motion. I ran into
mom and it was dark but I could see she was trying to sit up. I turned on the light in her hallway.
I looked around for help as soon as I saw her face. She stretched her arms straight up and out
to me in desperation, as if to say “Help me, I can’t breathe!” But she couldn’t really talk. Her
eyes did all the talking. Her beautiful eyes were so big and so scared. I saw that she was trying
to pull off her nasal cannula. She was anxious and struggling. I placed the cannula and the
mask back on her. I grabbed the oximeter and placed it on her finger. I asked if she was short of
breath and she nodded and semi-gasped. I asked if she wanted me to get the fan for her to
blow it on her face to help with that feeling. She nodded again.
Dad was still asleep right next to her. He was used to these coughing spells and was able to
continue sleeping. I didn’t want to yell out and wake him and startle him, so I told mom that I
was going to quickly grab the fan and that I would be right back. Instead, I just went as fast as I
could around the corner from their hallway and said in an emergent tone to Sadie: “Sadie!
Please get up, I need help right now!” She came right over and I told her to grab the fan and
bring it in. I was already back at mom’s side and glanced down at the oximeter which was
registering in the 40s. This was the moment that I positively knew that mom was dying. Like,
right now. Right there, in front of me. My mother was about to die. I told Sadie to hurry and grab
Nancy and tell her to come quickly. To tell her that it was serious. Sadie was so helpful and did
everything I asked her to do in this scary moment. Nancy came to my side as soon as she could
and together we tried to get mom an additional source of oxygen. She had 2 concentrators and
a tank of “blow-by” as we desperately tried to get her as much more air as we could. I shook
dad’s shoulder, he was asleep facing the other way. He turned in bed and looked over at mom
and looked at me. I said to him “Dad, it's mom. She is leaving.” He knew. He turned over and
had a look of helplessness on his face as he realized how severe it was. She was struggling so
hard. I had told Sadie, as soon as she came back with Nancy, to hurry downstairs and go get
anyone who wanted to come up, to tell them that mom was actively dying. Sadie went right away.
I asked Nancy to get some morphine to help ease mom’s desperate shortness of breath.
I said to grab my phone and text Shauna and tell her that mom was dying, that she was in an agonal
breathing pattern. She did that.
As all of the siblings came up from downstairs, looking both surprised and scared, they
surrounded our parent's bed as closely as they could. I was grateful to have all that love
surrounding mom and dad in this sacred and special moment. I looked back down at the
oximeter still on mom’s finger, and it read in the low 30s. Nancy was still holding some of the
blow-by oxygen from the tank towards her face. I can’t remember if I told her or if she just
realized it herself. But soon we quickly took the oximeter off of her finger, stopped the blow-by
and since it was completely futile, we gently removed the nasal cannula and the mask so that
she didn’t have to fight it anymore. So that dad could see her beautiful face and so that she
could see all the faces surrounding her. I asked Sadie to get my stethoscope and she brought it
to me. I rubbed her forehead gently. I listened to her heart, it was racing faster than I’m sure it
had ever done in 87+ years of beating. It was going over 170 and I knew it wasn’t going to be
able to do that for very long. I was amazed at how “with it” mom was, considering the absolute
lack of oxygen to her brain. What a tender mercy.
Dad was beginning to weep. As were all of us. He was holding onto her and telling her he
loved her. She had her head turned toward me, likely seeking air, so I used both of my hands to
manually turn her head towards dad so she could look at him as she left. I kept stroking her hair
off of her forehead and thinking of how much I loved her and how much I was going to miss her.
I kept repeating “It’s OK. I love you. We love you.” That same refrain echoed from all in the
room. Dad looked directly into her face and told her it was ok and that he loved her. She tried
with everything in her to repeat that back to him. Then, she took one more agonal breath, and I
had my stethoscope to her chest, listening to the galloping heart. Then it just stopped. It was
totally and completely quiet. I looked at my watch and saw the time: “11:38 pm”. I looked at dad
and shook my head and told him “She’s gone.” He kissed her and grabbed onto her and just
held her and sobbed. My heart silently cried out “Ai auae” and in that very instant, dad audibly
and loudly cried out “Ai auae!”. I began to sob. All around me were sobbing. It was such a sad,
tender, sacred, horrible, and beautiful moment of shared grief. Watching dad sob in that manner
was one of the hardest things I have ever witnessed. I gently pushed mom’s eyes closed.
I told Sadie to text Shauna and tell her that mom passed at 11:38pm. Then I had her text the
rest of the siblings that mom had died. We all wiped our faces and we left the room to give dad
some alone time with mom. Emily and Jane came back. Gayle came back. Sue was on her way.
We stood in the hallway in front of the front door and the big mirror and just held each other in a
circle and cried and cried together. We called Jennie to tell her the news. She was in Hawaii
and she cried in grief and sorrow that she wasn’t there with us. We couldn’t get hold of Tom or
John. Finally, I called Bev’s cell phone - it was after midnight at this point, and I just told her “Is
John there? Mom just died.” She handed the phone to him and I told him the sad news and he
audibly gasped and just said “What happened?” I remember feeling like I wanted to snap at him
like I wanted to say “What do you mean, what happened? She had leukemia and she just died!”
But I didn’t, I knew this was a question asked in shock. I just told him that she woke up coughing
and struggling to breathe and that she had not suffered long and that she was gone. We tried
several times to get hold of Tom, but he didn’t answer. I had to tell him in a voicemail, and a
text, that our mom was gone.
After several minutes, dad came out to the family room in his robe, to join the rest of the
family. He sat down and joined us all as we cried and talked about who and how to notify
people. Shauna got there and she hugged some of us and I walked her into the bedroom and
started talking with her about what had happened. I told her of the events leading up to and
including the time of her death. I stood at mom’s head on the side of the bed and she was at the
foot of the bed and we started talking about post-mortem cares for mom’s body. I told her there
honestly wasn’t much to do at this point. Besides her wedding ring, she had no earrings or
jewelry to remove, no dentures, and no tubes to pull from any orifices. I slipped her wedding band
and ring off of her finger and handed it to Sadie and told her to please place it directly in dad’s
hands. Shauna tried to force mom’s lower jaw into a shut-mouth position. She asked about
changing her garments, and I knew exactly what she meant, but I told her that mom had literally
prepared her body for death herself without knowing it. (Or maybe she did?) She had actually put
essential oils on her chest.
While Shauna began to fill out the paperwork, I pulled the blanket up to her neck and as
her body laid there in a perfectly peaceful and still manner, I couldn’t help but continue to stare
at her chest, just looking for one more rise. One more breath. This was a nonsensical thing for
me to be thinking. I knew she was gone. But it was something I couldn’t stop doing. Staring. At
her lifeless chest. Just watching for that last breath. That last breath that I had already watched
her take 20 minutes ago.
The funeral home was notified by Shauna before she left. She told them that we were waiting
for some more family members to arrive to say goodbye before they took her. So after about an
hour, we finally called them and they said that they were waiting to hear from us when we were
ready. We still hadn’t gotten ahold of Tom, but John had come and the rest of us were there, so
we told them it was time to get her.
They came in their Sunday bests, and ever-so-compassionately explained the procedure for
collecting and transporting her body to the morgue. We said our final goodbyes and dad began
sobbing again. And so did the rest of us. As they were about to go outside into the chilly night
air, they calmly pulled the shroud over her face and head and went out the front door. With my
mom. On a gurney. In a beautiful red velvet bag. I followed them through the little white gate
and as mom’s mortal body took its last ever stroll in front of her beloved rose bushes. As they
were approaching the vehicle, I asked them to hold on a second. I reached over and plucked
one of the last 2 white roses that were on the bush, and I placed it on her chest area and said “I
love you, mom!” And they loaded her up into the back of the van and shut the doors and drove
off. I slowly walked back into my childhood home with my mourning family and shut the front
door.
After a little while of crying and visiting and figuring out where everyone was going to sleep,
my dad shared some of his meaningful visions that he was granted shortly after mom departed. It
was sweet and spiritual and filled with lots of love. I am so grateful that he was granted that gift
and that he seems to be granted an ongoing gift of communication of spirit with mom on the
other side. We didn’t manage to get a lot of sleep after that point, but we did get a little. I stayed
for one more day to help figure out some of the logistical things, and then I drove home. It was
emotional again, driving to Idaho and leaving my family in Utah at a time such as this. But I had
a shift to work at the Urgent Care. I got flowers that day from Letty. What a sweet friend. I got
many texts and people stopped by and brought things. A few more flowers came as well, from
Just 4 Kids, from the Relief Society, and from Toni Hunt. So many thoughtful gestures that
made me feel a little less invisible at this lonely time in my heart.
The following hours and days after that were kind of a blur. A blur of emotions consisting of
sadness, jealousy, fear, relief, anxiety, love, sometimes anger, and mostly a feeling of
emptiness. Mom had already planned so much of the funeral program herself, so the siblings
spent their time gathering items to display in the gym; getting the program printed, and then
reprinted once we found out that President Eyring would be coming to preside; talking about
mom; answering questions about mom; eating all of the many gifts of food that were being
brought over each day. There is something to be said about mom and dad’s Bountiful ward -
and that is the fact that they are super kind and generous and they are super good at funerals.
Imagine feeding a family the size of the Groberg's! I feel blessed to not only have a place to call
my childhood “home” but also a place that I know my parents are looked after.
On Thursday afternoon, all of the daughters went to the funeral home to help dress mom’s
body in her temple robes. Dad also wanted to come and to have some time to spend with her.
Mom looked beautiful. They had her make-up done perfectly so she looked natural like she
always had without makeup on. Steve Butters had done a great job doing her hair. I reached out
to touch her hands. She was so cold. All nine of us girls gathered around her on the dressing
table. We gently rolled her to the side so we could tuck the necessary parts of her robes
underneath. Mom was happy at that moment. We decided to place her wedding band back on her
finger, it was a little snug, but we got it on there. Then I took a picture of all of our hands
surrounding hers. There was something symbolic and almost poetic in that notable contrast.
The contrast of the cold, paper-white, sinewy skin of her aged, hard-worked, and wizened hands
in comparison to the pink, pulsatile, warm, vibrant hands of her 9 daughters. It was like a
snapshot of how she gave her very life so that we could have ours.
Thursday night, the 14th of October, the Tongan community held an Ā Pō for mom. This is
essentially translated as a “wake”, but it is more of a memorial/viewing. Instead of just walking
by the casket and hugging family members, as Americans do, it was a full-fledged program. We
did have the mortuary bring mom’s casket which was open for the audience to see her, but
everyone sat down and just listened to various speakers and choirs. There were many VIPs
from the Tongan community and they had it broadcast live to the Kingdom of Tonga. My
friend Sara, from work, even drove down to it with her girls. I thought that was so very kind of
her to do. The program was beautiful and when those Tongan choirs start singing, that is the
end of my dry eyes. There was an official proclamation read from the Princess in Tonga about
how the entire Island Nation was mourning the passing of their “mother Jean” and how the Earth
was made more beautiful and whole in her presence. It was absolutely beautiful.
Greg and the kids all came and they stayed at Oma’s house (Zach’s grandmother) and I
stayed with dad and Emily and others in Bountiful. This arrangement worked out well for the
days of the wake, the viewing, and the funeral. So generous of Oma to allow my family to stay
there. Almost all of the 44 living grandchildren were able to come to the funeral. So many
friends and family drove and flew long distances to be there to show support. It was an amazing
outpouring of love. The displays turned out beautifully in the cultural hall. One thing that dad
wanted each of us to do was to wear a name tag that said our first name and our number - of
which child we were. So mine said “Viki - 10”. At first, I was thinking that this was a little odd, but
Jane and I went to the craft store and found the supplies and she put them together and they
turned out to be one of the best things about the viewing/funeral. We got so many comments on
those tags and they really helped people to know which ones we were!
The viewing on Friday the 15th went well. Lots of people came, but not as many as we had
potentially anticipated. Several of the 12 and the 70 came as well as some members from the
General Presidencies, such as Jean Bingham. More than anything, it was great to see family
that traveled to be there with us in our grief. The Kinikini family spontaneously broke out into
song in the room with mom’s casket when I was standing there with Uncle John Sabin. They
sang “Love at Home” in Tongan and it brought me to tears again.
Saturday morning was another short viewing prior to the funeral. They kept setting up chairs
all the way to the back of the cultural hall at the Stake Center and I thought to myself that there
was no way they would all be filled. But I was proved wrong as I later saw the size of the crowd.
As the pre-funeral viewing ended, Emily said the most beautiful ‘family prayer’ that I have ever
heard. It was so lovely. I cried a lot. We placed mom’s veil on her head, said our final farewells
to her beautiful face, then closed and locked the casket. We then proceeded into the
chapel, trailing her coffin which was covered in a gorgeous array of flowers.
The funeral went exactly as planned. Mom wanted it to be no longer than 70 minutes, and
we planned for exactly that. There are copies of the family letter from October circulating in our
family now - this consists of every word from the Funeral program from our family - in print. So
grateful to have that now for posterity to look at and read in the future. Me and Jennie spoke
about mom’s favorite scripture stories and then we all sang “He sent His son” from the primary
book, among other talks/numbers. Then dad got up to talk and when he sat down, I looked at
the clock and it was exactly noon. The funeral had begun promptly at 11 am and it was a little
moment of pride to see that we did it in an hour. I knew mom would be happy with that. Then
Pres. Eyring got up and he spoke from his heart. He did a great job, spoke for at least 15
minutes, sharing some stories about his interactions with mom and dad earlier in life as well as
his feelings about his own wife. It was tender and sweet.
After the funeral procession exited the building, there was much visiting and hugging, and
picture-taking. I shook Pres. Eyrings’ hand and he grasped mine as I thanked him for coming,
and his security detail escorted him out. Finally, we all drove down to the Bountiful Cemetery and
there Tom beautifully dedicated the gravesite and we all sang “Families Can Be Together Forever”.
We then pulled out a large piece of tapa cloth that Emily and Jennie had pre-cut and we draped it
over her coffin and then laid the spray of flowers back on top of it. It was a significant moment.
Later dad would share with us, through his own tears, how he heard mom’s voice clearly saying
“Thank you for the Tapa” in that moment.
We took lots of photos with family at the gravesite and then we loaded up and drove away from the cemetery and back to their home
ward building to enjoy some food that the ward had prepared for the family luncheon. Talk about
a TON of funeral potatoes and ham. Impressive.
Greg and the kids loaded up and returned to Idaho after that. But I just couldn’t pull myself
away from Bountiful yet. Greg supported me in staying there one more day. I slept upstairs with
Emily and the two of us tried to get as many of the “medical” things of moms put away as we could.
But every time I looked at the bathroom door, I was half-waiting to hear mom coughing in there, or
for her to just open the door and walk out with her oxygen tubing on. I think I went into mom and
dad’s bedroom at least 4 times just to sit on her bed.
Sunday morning, less than 24 hours after he buried his wife, my dad slowly walked up to the
pulpit on Fast Sunday to bear his testimony. He told some of the last moments he had with her
as she was dying, and some of the beautiful visions of mom on the other side of the veil at her
arrival there. He shared a powerful testimony of the Savior and of eternal promises if we only
keep our covenants as she did. It was odd to sit in Relief Society again - it has been so
many years and years of Primary and YW for me that I still don’t quite feel “at home” in RS. But
at least I had so many of my literal sisters to sit with in there. Then we went home and I began
to pack up and say goodbye and I drove back home to Idaho Falls.
I stayed here in Idaho Falls for several days, but then I went back this last week to help work
on several items in the house and to basically be with dad and help him with checking off
several items on his “To Do” list. He is getting really good at making those every day. But I do
worry about him. I worry that he may feel suffocated by all of the family constantly hovering
around him, grandkids living with him. But I also worry that if there aren’t enough people at his
beckoning, then he will feel even more helpless and alone. I worry that he is getting forgetful,
and getting very unsteady and wobbly. There is a loss of not only companionship in mom but
also someone who was his constant support, secretary, cook, etc. I wonder what his future will
look like, and what my role in it will be. He used to call me nearly every day, or every other day,
just to ask questions about mom’s health status or change in condition. Now, it feels like I only
talk to him once a week - if that. I need to be better about just calling and checking in, but I don’t want
him to feel like I am “checking in” on him all the time. He will be fine. It just feels like such a
weird moment in life for Greg and me, and I want to be a support and an advocate for him in any
way I can.
I am grateful for Greg and for all of the support that he has given me over these last
months of drastic change and tumultuous emotions. I sometimes look at the love between my
parents and think that it isn’t real. That there is no such thing as marriage as strong as theirs
is. I compare myself and my marriage and I wonder if my own relationship will ever be half as
strong as theirs was. I hope to work all the rest of my life to make it so.
It is weird to feel like I am half-orphaned now. I hope that I can continue to stay on the path
that I know my mom was on her entire life- and that is the path of discipleship - that of striving to
love others like Jesus did. I know that this is the only way that I will get to live with her again one
day. Thank you, mom, for teaching me through your own life, how to walk in His light. I love
you.


Viki, your words touched my heart. Thank you for sharing. You took such great care of her.
ReplyDeleteSherri
Such a beautiful, heart warming, heart wrenching, lovely tribute to your mom and family. Thank you for sharing your experience, passion and love.
ReplyDeleteThank u Viki for sharing such a deeply personal experience. It was beautifully written. Very touching. I served in the temple when your mom and dad were the Pres and Matron. Wonderful wonderful people. Your grandfather gave me my patriarchal blessing. The Grobergs are an intregal part of Idaho Falls history.
ReplyDeleteMalo aupito for sharing this sacred experience - I have been touched and edified deeply. Your sentence of: "Having a knowledge of the plan of salvation does bring so much added peace to almost any situation, but it doesn't necessarily make it any easier," is so true and instructive.
ReplyDelete"Ai auae"
'Ofa lahi atu Kolipoki Famili!
So beautiful Viki! It amazes me that such a sad and hard moment can be so holy.
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this. It brought back a lot of memories of saying good-bye to my mom. They both were angels here on earth! Thank you for taking the time to write so many details and for sharing it with others. You will never regret a moment spent with your mom nor the time it took to write these memories down. These are sacred, precious things. Love you
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! Thank you Viki for writing all of this up. Thank you for being there and for all the love and care you gave to mom and dad and all of us. I feel so grateful and blessed to be a part of this family ❤️
ReplyDeleteThis was unbelievably touching. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I love you and your family. Gayle kept me informed your mother's progressing illness. I prayed for you and my thoughts were with you all. Your mother was a powerful influence in my life. Thank you for sharing her with all of us. I wish I could have been at the funeral - I unable to attend as I was needed at home to care for my own daughter in her illness. I did participate from afar via zoom - my heart was with you all. Deep love to you and yours. xoxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteJenna
What a beautiful glimpse of the love your family had at such a tender time. Thank you for sharing and reminding me of ghe most important things in life.
ReplyDelete